Wednesday, May 1, 2013

/Lips/ Revlon Lip Butters


These products were purchased by me.

I have in my possession three Revlon Lip Butters to share with you. Two were actually bought many months ago and I got the other one only a few days ago. I must say, the packaging really gets me. It looks so cute and colorful, very much like candy. That's one of the reasons I was attracted to these colors and this specific product. According to Revlon, these are "buttery balm(s) with beautiful shiny color to give you baby soft, healthy glowing lips." AND "94% of women felt lips were softer, smoother, and instantly hydrated." Wow. Revlon lip butters are also award winners (...I don't exactly know where officially, but here's one place that gave them an award).

Anyway, the colors above are Strawberry Shortcake, Sweet Tart, and Wild Watermelon. Here are swatches:


wild watermelon, sweet tart, strawberry shortcake

As you can see, the lip butters look very pigmented. This is great for me as my lips rarely take color from most lipsticks. Here's a reminder of what my lips normally look like


bare!

Let's have a look at what they do to my lips.


First we have Strawberry Shortcake. I think it looks marvelous in the tube, it's so pretty and pink which is something I may subconsciously like more than cookies. I digress. And when I put it on:


Hmmmm. I know it looks ok on my lips here, despite lacking in the pigment department, but this leans waaaaaaay too cool for my skin tone. It's actually unsurprisingly jarring when I see myself in a mirror with this on. What I can do, and what I have been doing, is dab it on and kind of blend into my lips rather than smear it on. This will be more of a lip balm for me...until/unless I get paler with pinkish undertone in my skin.


This is Sweet Tart. It's a darker, warmer, not-quite-full-on-fuchsia-y pink.


I remember getting this and saying to myself, "Oooh! Pretty! But...it's not the pink I was looking for..." When I put it on, I wished it was a tad lighter, not so pigmented, slightly less warm. So I rarely wore it. For months it lay lonely in box #1 of lip products, until about a week or two ago I picked it up out of the blue and swiped Sweet Tart on. After having it on for a while, a slight translucency developed and it left my lips with a natural, soft pink that works so well with my skin tone. This is a lip color that's bright, but not loud and great for everyday when I need a little pop on my lips (and I reach for it nearly everyday).


Wild Watermelon looks intense in the tube. It's straight up red with maybe one touch of coral. This is a new shade in the Lip Butter range and was released as part of Revlon's Pacific Coast Collection. I picked this up about two days ago (it was a standoff between Wild Watermelon and Pink Lemonade; the former won as I knew it would probably show up on my lips better).


On the lips, a sheer and shiny hint of red appears. Not so much like you've been eating watermelon, more like if you've had a cherry popsicle. It doesn't look like much in the picture above, but the color is very prominent when you see my whole face.


All in all, these are fairly good drugstore lip products. The darker colors have a moderate amount of pigment and their opacity will depend on the natural pigmentation of your lips. There is a slight vanilla fragrance to the lip butters, but I don't detect any scent once the product is on my lips. One major downside was hydration. The lip butters are supposed to keep lips feeling moisturized while worn, but I never felt mine were truly moisturized. It even felt a little drying at times. Even though these lip butters won't be replacing my regular lip balm, I find them more comfortable to wear than normal lipstick.

bright young person loves it

this much

No comments:

Post a Comment