Wednesday, May 15, 2013

/Make-up/ Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash Mascara

This product was part of a set given to me as a gift from a family member.

Hiya. Today we'll be taking a lok at Make Up For Ever's Smoky Lash mascara. This came in a holiday set with 2 eyeliners, an aqua cream, and a mini sized HD powder, but it's also available for individual purchase at Sephora. I was so exited to try this because I'd heard it can do great things: volume, length, and curl? Yes, please, I'm looking for all of those things in a mascara. I was also pleasantly surprised at the value of all the products in this set and the fact that it was a gift (always a nice thing). I didn't use it for a while, never even opened it, as I was trying to finish off some drugstore brand mascara.


If I remember correctly, I started my relationship with this mascara in late December/early January. I was surprised to see the brush looked like this:


I know one can easily go to Sephora (assuming you live near a store) to check out products before purchase, but I had never really checked out this specific mascara before it was presented to me so...To me, the bristles are much too short and condensed to give my eyelashes the length I crave. I was curious to see how it would turn out. For reference, here are my plain lashes:


And here they are coated with MUFE:


You can see the immediate difference, right? My lashes are clearly visible. For the picture above, I curled one set of lashes (the left side when you look at the computer screen...which is really my right eye). The application experience for me was not particularly pleasant. This mascara clumped a lot. I attribute that to the volumizing properties of it, but that's not something I like in a mascara at all. Throughout the day, the mascara seemed to make weigh down my lashes that weren't curled. The strangely positive thing, though, is that the ones that were curled stayed that way all day. This mascara doesn't smudge or flake on me which is another plus.
In my everyday make-up routine, this is not a product I reach for often. In fact, I disliked it so much at first I went out and bought a Covergirl mascara to use instead (I am very unfaithful in mascara relationships, but I will go back to the ones I've had a good run with). It took me a while to appreciate what this mascara can do. It holds a curl like nobody's business without giving me black eyes. But I don't like to curl my eyelashes everyday and I much prefer long, fluttery, natural lashes. Having two good attributes, however, don't make me want to commit as there are cheaper, better alternatives out there.
Would I buy this again? No. What if it were discounted/in a set? No...(well, depends on how steep the discount is/what else is in the set). This mascara might be good for someone with thin lashes to benefit from the clumpy-voluming it does, but for length or curl (w/o a lash curler), you might have to look elsewhere.

bright young person loves it

this much

No comments:

Post a Comment