Wednesday, May 15, 2013

/Thoughts/ A Date to Remember

This was another sample article I wrote as a possibly submission to ITG. This was more of a reminder/infoitational piece and I didn't think it was as strong as the eyebrow article. Here it is in all its glory anyway. Enjoy!

~~~



Birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, and that one time I saw Robert Downey Jr. These are usually dates etched into my brain or physically written in my planner or on my phone’s calendar. Forgetting these dates would lead to devastating results. Shouldn't keeping track of what’s happening in our interpersonal lives extend to our personal lives?
What I’m trying to get at here is that all our make-up, skincare, body care, and hair care have a limited time to be used to their full potential once opened. There will come a time where the ingredients in these things will stop working or even become harmful. We tend to neglect when that time will come even though our products tell us when they’re about to expire (either the actual date or the little number next to the jar on the back or bottom of the container). One of the reasons I’m so hesitant to use and finish a product is because I equate price with shelf life. If I pay a lot of money for something I want to feel as if I can use it for basically FOREVER. In the long run, though, this is extremely detrimental. When I see the suggested expiration coming up and I’ve barely used any product I get upset. Should I toss it? Keep using it? These days my mind set has changed: If I buy it and have it, I better use it. Use a checklist to track what products you're using (I call mine a "skinventory"). This is great way to streamline what products to use as well.

~~~

I really do have trouble using my expensive products. If I don't use them, though, it's such a waste if they go bad. Hmmm. I think this also relates to buying too many products which get ignored after a few uses....I don't understand how people can purchase palettes with 50+ eyeshadows, blushes, glosses, etc. and expect to use all the products unless they apply tons of make-up daily or are make-up artists. Well, that's what I think. To minimize risks and getting the most for your money, get things you know you'll use, buy from places with good return policies, and don't be afraid to use up that expensive product (leaving it alone hurts you both). Hopefully, pending someone's read this, you'll take a closer consideration at your older products. Check for expiration dates and change in scent/texture to make sure you're not using something that could do more harm than help. For further information and advice, check out this guide from Real Simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment