Sunday, November 30, 2014

/Make-up/ L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black Mascara


this was purchased by me.

I spotted this mascara a while ago and decided to pick it up because I can never have enough mascara...and I wasn't too happy with the current one I was using. I saw this, read the words on the packaging, "Dramatic Volume Effect, Separates & Builds Every Lash", and I immediately wanted to try it. I've been using it about a month now and here are my thoughts on it.

This L'Oreal mascara sells for about $6 for .26 fl. oz./1.1 ml or product. The mascara formula is supposed to "resist clumping, soften lashes, and build lashes to 5x their natural thickness." Other important claims as listed on the back of the packaging:

-Unique maximizing formula quickly thickens and builds lashes in a single application for a full and dramatic look
-Patented brush thickens evenly leaving lashes soft & with virtually no flakes, smudges or clumps
-Panthenol and Ceramide-R formula protects and conditions lashes leaving them soft and resistant to clumping & flaking
-Ophthalmologist and allergy tested
-Suitable for sensitive eyes & contact lens wearers
-Clump-resistant
-Fragrance-free

That is a long list of claims. The term "resist" to clump/smudge/flake will come into play later in the review. L'Oreal was careful to choose the right word to describe the formula. Anyway, here are the ingredients:


This is a close-up of the brush. It's rather small in size compared to other mascara brushes, as it's only slightly larger than the wand. The bristles are close together, holding a lot of the mascara between them, and the brush tapers slightly toward the tip.


As there is sometimes too much mascara on the brush, I wipe off the excess on a tissue before applying it to my lashes. There's no real fragrance, it kind of has a mascara-like smell that has a little plasticky note.
How does it look on the lashes? Let's see! For comparison, here are my bare eyelashes without anything on them.


natural light

Here I've swiped one layer of mascara on one side (the lashes to your left).


natural light

You can see that the lashes on that side are curled, fanning out nicely, and look thicker. Here's what it looks like with mascara on both lashes:


My lashes look quite nice, actually visible and curled up. When I first put on this mascara I was thrilled to see how great it made my lashes look. After wearing it for a few days, though, I would discover black smudges under my eyes. I thought it was my eyeliner at first, so the next day I just left out that eyeliner from my eye make-up, but the black smudges returned. It was from the Voluminous Mascara! I was quite disappointed because I believed this was smudge/flake-free. Looking at the description again, it does say that it is resistant to clumping and smudging and flaking. Nowhere does it says that those things won't happen at all. As disappointed as I was, I wanted to keep using this mascara because it looks really good so I started putting setting powder lightly under my eyes which has stopped/reduced the smudging left from the mascara.


whole face look, natural light

The mascara isn't bad nor is is amazing. I like the way it makes my lashes look, but it has a tendency to smudge. It's cheap, but you have to wipe off excess mascara from the brush before using it. I don't know if I could try this again...Maybe the normal, original L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara...

Overview
likes
.affordable
.widely available
.volumizes & curls lashes
.easy to apply
.generally fragrance-free

dislikes
.smudges
.have to wipe off extra product from brush before using

Bright young person loves it

this much.

No comments:

Post a Comment