Saturday, March 14, 2015

/Skin/ Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Shea Soap w/ Sognyi Mushroom


this was purchased by me.

I finally decided to try another Shea Moisture soap as a facial cleanser. I chose this particular one because it focuses on brightening and toning the skin with natural, organic ingredients. I've been using this as a daily cleanser for about four or five months and here's my review~

This sells for around $5 for 8oz/230g of soap. I was lucky enough to find this bar of soap on clearance at my local Rite Aid. I bought it for less than $2.


sale!

This particular line from Shea Moisture "moisturizes and improves firmness, while naturally brightening dull skin and evening skin discolorations" as described from their website. This soap is "specially formulated with organic Shea Butter, Coconut Oil and sweet Hibiscus Flower to cleanse, moisturize and improve skin's firmness. Songyi Mushroom naturally brightens dull skin and evens skin discolorations. Leaves skin soft and radiant". It's like an anti-aging, moisturizing, and brightening soap. Sounds good. Although this is probably marketed as a body soap bar, the packaging didn't say that this couldn't be used on the face. On Shea Moisture's Coconut and Hibiscus web page, there are instructions that say "lather and wash on entire body". My face is on my body so...it's ok.
Here's the full ingredient list.


This is a cruelty-free product and does not contain the following:


yay! cruelty-free and no harmful chemicals!

I've been using this mostly in the mornings, lathering it up with some water in my hands and applying it on my face. I was hoping this would have a pleasant coconut and floral scent, but to me it just smells like play-doh....It's a little strange, but the scent doesn't bother me much anymore. The lather this soap makes is like a creamy foam that doesn't irritate the skin. If this gets in your eye, though, it will sting so be sure to avoid that area when cleansing. It rinses off fairly well leaving my skin feeling soft and surprisingly moisturized, unlike the African Black soap I've tried before. Since I mostly use this in the morning, I wanted to see if this would be good as a nightly cleanser to remove make-up. Let's see if it works!
To test this the soap as make-up remover, I applied some BB cream, powder, and water-proof eyeliner on my hand.


Then I lathered the soap and applied it on the make-up. It looks like it's breaking it down as the color of the eyeliner appears to have faded a bit.


I gently wiped the soap off with a damp wash cloth (as per Caroline Hiron's cleansing method) and this is what it looks like after the first cleanse with Shea Moisture's Coconut % Hibiscus and Sognyi mushroom soap.


There is still some make-up reside, particularly from the eyeliner. I went in with a second cleanse using the same soap and the results were great.


sparkling clean!

All the make-up was cleaned off with the second cleanse, also using a damp wash cloth, with this soap. There was absolutely no reside left when I ran a cotton puff with toner over the back of my hand. I was pleasantly surprised that this soap was effective at removing all make-up gently and effectively.

I quite like this line from Shea Moisture. I find that it leaves my skin moisturized, but I'm not sure if there's any anti-aging or brightening going on. One thing I truly dislike about this soap is that it has tiny pieces of what I thought were coconut shell (could be vanilla beans because it's listed in the ingredient list) mixed in with it. I know from the pictures above it's difficult to see anything in the soap, but when I removed the packaging there were small dots throughout the soap. Whatever these are, coconut or vanilla, they are painful on the skin. It's really abrasive, even on my hands when I lather the soap, so I don't recommend using this bar directly on the face. Other than that, I'd pick this up again because it has a good price and works well. I'm willing to try more of Shea Moisture's bar soaps as facial cleaners. I want to get the Olive and Green Tea bar soap next (◠ ◡ ◠).

Overview
likes
.affordable
.gentle on skin
.can be used all over body
.effective at removing make-up
.moisturizing
.lots of product for price
.lasts a long time
.travel-friendly
.cruelty-free
.natural and organic ingredients

dislikes
.strange scent (nothing really like coconut or hibiscus...)
.ground coconut shells/vanilla beans can be too harsh on skin
.don't use around eyes

bright young person loves it

this much.

No comments:

Post a Comment