Monday, July 20, 2015

/Body/ The Honest Co. Honest Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30


this was purchased by me.

Throughout this summer I've been particularly diligent with my sunscreen. I always apply it on my face as the last step of my skincare routine, but I often neglect to cover the rest of my body. When I bought this sunscreen I was hoping it would be great to use on my face and body, but it ended up being better for my body (more on that later). Let's get onto the review!

This costs $13.95 for 3 oz/85 g of sunscreen. My local Costco, where I purchased mine, sells these in a bundle of 2 for $13.99. On the website, this is described as "Protecting your skin just got easier with our non-toxic, non-nano, non-whitening sunscreen! Super safe and super effective — providing the best broad spectrum protection for your family."


protection sealed!
It features these qualities
"•Naturally derived, unscented, broad-spectrum (UVA and UVB) SPF mineral sunscreen - everything you need, nothing you don't
•Easy to apply, non-greasy, non-whitening (non-nano!) zinc oxide sunscreen provides safe, effective sun protection for the entire family
•Zinc oxide is the ONLY active sunscreen ingredient - NO synthetic chemical sunscreens Water resistant - tested effective for up to 80 minutes
•Shake well before use!
•Hypoallergenic • Non-Nano • Mineral-Based • Biodegradable • Reef-Friendly • Water Resistant (80 minutes) • pH Balanced
"

I prefer to use mineral(physical)-based sunscreens rather than chemical-based ones as these get absorbed by the skin. The main problem with physical sunscreens, though, is that they leave a white cast on the skin. This one promises not to do that, so let's see how it looks when applied.

The sunscreen lotion is a thick, white cream that's very easy to spread. There isn't really any scent as there are no fragrances added, but it smells a little like plastic. When I squeezed the tube I was surprised to see a lot of oil come out first. I knew there was oil in this formula as stated in the ingredient list, but I wasn't expecting that much. I never paid much attention to the "Shake well before use" part of the directions, but even after trying it (it's rather difficult to shake the product in the tube) the lotion still came out thick and somewhat greasy.
To show the oiliness of this sunscreen lotion, I put a dollop on a piece of paper, thinking the oil would eventually get absorbed by the paper. As time passed, the oil seeped out of the lotion and indeed got on the paper.


first put on the paper
5 minutes later (some oil...)
10 minutes later (much oil!)

Despite thinking this was too oily, I applied it to my face on two separate occasions and I never felt it absorbed very well. It left my face sooooo greasy and my make-up basically slid off my face. It was then that I started to use this on my body.


natural light

The skin on my arms and legs are much drier than my face and I liked that this sunscreen felt moisturizing. It does feel a little uncomfortable on the skin when it's more humid outside (your skin will feel quite sticky) and this aggravated my eczema a little. Once the sunscreen is applied to the skin it leaves a slight sheen that gives a glowing effect. Skin looks healthy and hydrated.


flash

The lotion leaves no white cast on the skin, even in flash pictures, but it does lighten the skin when first applied. As for protecting the skin against the sun, it does an ok job. I applied this on my arms and reapplied throughout the day, but I still got tanned quite a bit. Maybe I wasn't using enough sunscreen, I don't know. Here's a quick guide and a more in depth one on sun protection to address any concerns/questions. I generally like this sunscreen because it uses physical sun blockers as opposed to chemical ones and this is also a cruelty-free product. The size of the tube is perfect for throwing into my bag so I can easily access it throughout the day. I wouldn't recommend this for everyday use on the face unless you have dry skin. Even then, this is quite heavy and oily so it can interfere with your make-up. It's great for body, I think, and is really travel-friendly.

Overview
likes
.physical sunscreen
.cruelty-free
.no white cast on skin
.moisturizing on the body
.travel-friendly
.lotion spreads easily
.available in 2 packs

dislikes
.not widely available in stores
.oily
.feels heavy and greasy on the face
.make-up slides applied on top of this will slide off
.skin will tan even after this is put on and reapplied throughout the day

bright young person loves it

this much.

No comments:

Post a Comment