Tuesday, July 16, 2013

/Skin/ Jurlique Love Balm


this was purchased by me.

I got this a few months ago when I got that Sephora swag. I've been using it since then, testing how it feels and hydrates my skin, enjoying its pleasant citrus aroma. I like the idea of this product in theory: it's a multipurpose moisturizer made of natural ingredients that wasn't initially tested animals.

According to Jurlique, this is "A natural salve that moisturizes, softens and protects dry or chapped skin. Infused with the natural scent of tangerine". It's supposed to soothe and hydrate any irritated skin (lips, elbows, cuticles), prevent moisture loss with tangerine oil, and provide antioxidant protection. The ingredients include: lea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil; Cera Alba (Beeswax); Cetearyl Alcohol; Carthamus tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil; Fragrance (Parfum)*; Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride; Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil; Calendula officinalis Flower extract; Chamomilla recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract; Althaea officinalis Root Extract; Rosa gallica Flower Extract; Bellis perennis (Daisy) Flower Extract; Viola odorata Flower Extract; Viola tricolor Flower Extract; Echinacea purpurea Extract; Bisabolol; Ethylhexylglycerin; Tocopherol; Totarol; Phenoxyethanol; Dehydroacetic Acid; Linalool*; Limonene*. Everything sounds good, doesn't it? It's an all-natural wonder balm!
At least, it should be. For me it was more like a...mediocre balm. It works ok, but it barely lived up to its claimed super powers.

The first thing I was disappointed with was the amount of product. I know $6.50 isn't terribly expensive, especially for a Jurlique product, but you get a small amount of balm. There's 15ml/.5 oz of stuff in the pot. Granted, it's more than what one receives in a tube of lip product, I was expecting it would be a bit bigger.


See how it shrinks in comparison to the Rosebud salve? For 50¢ less you get .3 oz more product that works better and quicker at moisturizing (I suppose the major drawback would be the ingredients which include petroleum). I digress. At least the love balm isn't priced like this.
The texture of the balm is very hard and waxy. It's not cushiony and you really need to kind of dig into it or apply a bit of pressure to get the product out.


what's inside!

When applied to the lips, it just sort of sits there and it doesn't feel as if it ever gets absorbed. The lips feel comfortable, however, and because it's not overly sticky or slick it makes a very nice base for other lip products.


love balm on the lips

I like the slight sheen the balm gives, too. Because of the thick waxiness of the love balm, it creates a barrier that keeps lips hydrated for two to three hours (maybe more, but I'm not 100% sure because I've eaten and had drinks while wearing this and it wears off a little).
When I applied the balm to my cuticle or other parts of my skin that felt dry, the results were slightly better as it absorbed quicker and gave immediate hydration.
Would I repurchase this? Probably not considering its lack of efficacy and the texture of the product, even if it is good stuff. I can also get something similar that include more product for a nicer price. The packaging isn't exactly hygienic either, is it? I don't want to stick my fingers, which are probably not very clean, into a pot of stuff where bacteria will most likely fester.
This experience doesn't turn me off from Jurlique. I would love to try its cleansers, mists, and powders one day.

bright young person loves it

this much.

No comments:

Post a Comment